No Bank other than NBP faced cyberattack, clarifies SBP | The Express Tribune

The State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) on Monday said that no bank other than the National Bank of Pakistan (NBP) faced cyberattack on Saturday, terming reports of financial loss or data breach as “fake news”.

“Some fake news regarding cybersecurity attack on banks is in circulation including remarks attributed to [SBP] chief spokesman, Mr Abid Qamar. According to these fake news, 9 banks have been affected by the attack and that money has been withdrawn and data stolen,” the SBP said on its official Twitter handle.

Rejecting the reports, the central bank said that no bank other than NBP had faced a cyberattack. “No financial loss or data breach has been observed so far. SBP is monitoring the situation closely and it will share any update or information about the incident through its official channels,” it added.

Read more: NBP reports cyberattack on its servers

NBP, the state-owned bank came under a cyberattack on Saturday that affected its branches in providing some of the services to the customers. “Currently, the NBP’s services to its customers are disrupted, but we are working to address the breach and remain confident that essential customer services will be restored by Monday morning (today),” NBP said in a statement issued in connection to the cyberattack.

“The NBP has reported a cybersecurity-related incident which is being investigated,” stated the State Bank of Pakistan in a tweet. “NBP has not observed any data breach or financial loss. No other bank has reported any such incidence.”

The SBP had said that it was monitoring the situation closely to ensure the safety and soundness of the banking system.

Also read: Services unaffected post cyberattack: NBP

On Sunday, the state-owned bank said 1LINK had confirmed there was no disruption of any interoperable banking services during or after the cyberattack on it.

“All transactions, both financial (ATM cash withdrawal, 1IBFT – inter-bank funds transfer and bill payments) and non-financial (balance inquiry, title fetch and bill inquiry) are completely functional and safe,” it added in a statement.

“There was no downtime from Thursday till now, and the transaction volumes suggest that customers are conducting transactions as usual.”

The bank said this clarification was to dispel all rumours and give comfort to its customers that the country’s payment systems and digital banking were safe.




Source link

About Daily Multan

Check Also

Asian equities rise as investors bet on China reopening

Asian stocks jumped higher and the price of crude oil rose on Monday, as investors …

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *